Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snow Day!



On the day after super Tuesday, when daddy stayed up really late eagerly awaiting news of Obama's every victory, an impressive winter storm descended on Iowa. This "Mardi Gras" storm also set a line of severe weather from Arkansas through Tennessee and all of the Ohio River Valley. Spawning dozens of tornadoes, destruction was scattered throughout the region. But Iowa lay on the north edge of the cold front, so we got snow. Lots of it.

A surprise snowfall resulted in 8 inches on Super Bowl Sunday, but the storm today was expected. We awoke to about 4 inches that had fallen overnight, but the flakes were getting bigger and faster every minute. By the time we got to day care at 9am, it was coming down at an inch per hour. As expected, a snow day was called and we all had to go home.

Check that- we all got to home to play with the puppies and enjoy the fresh snow!

Even better, mommy got to come home with us and we all played! I practiced crawling and Skye chased her toys and Denali . . . well, Denali just followed us around and tried to snuggle with us at every moment. That's her usual M.O.- and we love her for it.

Finally, we went out in the back yard to enjoy the majesty of winter. The snow around the house was the deepest mommy and daddy have ever seen. This is the snowiest winter that Iowa has had in many years. And it's my first- lucky me!


Here's a video of me giggling at 'Nali- she is so funny!

1 comment:

Ada said...

Sophie- what a beautiful picture of you. You look like a snow baby. One of the best things about growing up where it snows is the announcement of a snow day- it is as if a day of play has been decreed.
I love hearing you giggle- a perfect snow day is playing in the piles of snow, coming into a warm house and having a cup of hot chocolate (or bottle of milk) in front of a fire and practicing a new trick- while your puppy sisters enjoy the special time with the whole family.
Ada, like your Daddy, stayed up to watch Obama's string of victories- I have a song for the ocassion (you may want to add it to your play list):
Like a fool I went and stayed too long
Now I'm wondering if your love's still strong
Oo, baby, here I am, signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!

Then that time I went and said goodbye
Now I'm back and not ashamed to cry
Oo, baby, here I am, signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!

Here I am baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours
(Obama's got my future in his hands)
Here I am baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours
(Obama's got my future in his hands)

I've done a lot of foolish things
That I really didn't mean, didn't I?

Seen a lot of things in this old world
When I touch them, they mean nothing, girl
Oo, baby, here I am, signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!

Oowee baby, you set my soul on fire
That's why I know you're my heart's only desire

Here I am baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours
(The voters got Sophie's future in their hands)
Here I am baby
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm yours
(Voters have the future of the next generation in their hands)
Signed sealed delivered Obama is our man!!!